Driving under the influence (DUI) is a big issue. It's a big issue here in the Rocklin and Roseville area, throughout California, and beyond. There are a lot of facts about DUI that most people are not aware of. Yet it is these facts that usually make it such a popular topic and help it get so much media attention. As such, it never hurts to know a few DUI facts. You never know when they may come in handy!
DUI is an issue for a variety of reasons that include safety, economics, and others. It is one that keeps police officers busy, and leads to a host of problems for the driver, providing they didn't work with an attorney. By working with an attorney people will find that their case has a more favorable outcome. Here are 5 facts about DUI:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), vehicle crashes from DUI costs more than $51 billion per year. But that number doesn't likely include the additional costs that can be faced by a DUI, including job losses, higher insurance rates, etc.
- When ignition interlocks are installed on vehicles of those who have received a DUI, they tend to lead to a 70 percent reduction in the DUI arrest rates. The devices are installed on the ignition and they won't allow the vehicle to be operated above a safe blood alcohol concentration.
- According to the California Department of Alcohol & Drug Programs, Hispanics represent the largest ethnic group being arrested for DUI each year since 1992. The group makes up nearly 44 percent of all DUI arrests in the state of California.
- In California, males comprise around 78 percent of all DUI arrests. However, the number of females being arrested for DUI has been climbing each year since 1989.
- The average age of someone being arrested for DUI in California is 30. Juveniles (those under 18) make up less than 1 percent of DUI arrests.
While DUI facts and statistics are interesting, they also help to put the situation into perspective. DUI can be costly, but there are things we can do to help reduce second instances of it. We can also do more as a state to reach those who are at a higher risk for being arrested for DUI. Those who are arrested for DUI should always speak with an attorney to have the best possible outcome for their case.
The Law Offices of Terry L. Gilbeau provides personalized counsel to clients in a variety of business and personal matters, including creditors rights, debt collection, products liability and international transaction issues. His office is located in Rocklin, CA, just outside of Sacramento, CA, near Roseville, Lincoln, Auburn, in Placer County and can be reached at (916-626-5539) or email Terry at email@example.com. Click here for the firm website http://www.gilbeaulaw.com/