Anyone who has been charged with driving under the influence (DUI) should work with an attorney. Doing so is the most effective way to ensure the best possible outcome for the case. Whether you are located in Rocklin and Roseville, or elsewhere in California, it is important when hiring an attorney that you make the right selection. Your DUI case, and its outcome, will be greatly impacted by making the right or the wrong attorney selection.
Choosing an attorney can be as simple as opening up the phone book and picking one to call. But there is a good chance that, by taking this route, you will not get the best attorney for your case. There are indeed better routes to take. Here are 5 tips for hiring a DUI attorney:
- Seek specialization. Hiring an attorney who does not specialize in DUI cases is like hiring a math teacher to do your business taxes. Sure, the person may understand numbers, but they don't likely know all that much about tax law. With DUI, it is crucial that you hire an attorney who specializes in this area.
- Expect experience. An individual fresh out of law school and deciding they will specialize in DUI isn't going to be your best route, either. You need experience on your side. You need an attorney who has been through enough DUI cases to know what works, what doesn't, and what your best possible options are.
- Ask for referrals. If you know someone else who has had a successful DUI case, ask for a referral to the attorney they worked with. This doesn't mean you should automatically go with that person, but it gives you a place to start considering. You will still want to take the other steps outlined here into account, to help you make the right decision for you. After all, even an inexperienced attorney who doesn't specialize in DUI could get lucky, once in a while.
- Get verification. Taking the attorney's word for it may not be enough. You can do your own investigative work to verify that the person is a qualified attorney and doesn't have any complaints against them. To do this, give the State Bar Association a call.
- Interview people. It is important that you feel comfortable with the attorney you hire, along with those in their office. Have a brief interview with the attorneys you are considering, so that you can make sure their personalities are a good fit with you.
It is also vital to remember not to choose an attorney solely based on the fees involved. While you want to inquire about the attorney fees, you don't want your decision to be based on seeking out the cheapest representation around. After all, the outcome of your case hangs in the balance, and that outcome can have a big impact on your finances, overall.
Hiring an attorney for your DUI case makes a lot of sense. It is the best way to make sure that all of your options will be explored, and that you will achieve the best possible outcome for your case. But hiring the wrong attorney may not help you as much as you would like. It's important to hire the best DUI attorney for your situation. Around Rocklin, Roseville, and beyond California, it is crucial to do your homework before hiring a DUI attorney.
The Law Offices of Terry L. Gilbeau provides personalized counsel to clients in a variety of business and personal matters, including creditors rights, debt collection, products liability and international transaction issues. His office is located in Rocklin, CA, just outside of Sacramento, CA, near Roseville, Lincoln, Auburn, in Placer County and can be reached at (916-626-5539) or email Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for the firm website http://www.gilbeaulaw.com/